Puerto Rico’s attractions range from the adventurous (like the underground caves of Río Camuy Cave Park) to the historic (like the 500-year old walls of the El Morro fort). And there are plenty of options between the two extremes. Beach lovers must visit the western beaches of Rincón for sunbathing and surfing; snorkelers are bound to enjoy Vieques’ bioluminescent Mosquito Bay. And if you’re the kind of traveller who parties heartily, you’ll discover a varied but vibrant nightlife in San Juan.
Puerto Rico inspires Caribbean daydreams for good reason: it can satisfy both the lethargic beach bum and the budding big-wave surfer – all in a long weekend. Its coral reefs host a riot of fantastical fish and the shores shimmer like crushed pearls. On some beaches, you’ll have plenty of company. In other places like Vieques or Cabo Rojo you might have some of the world’s best stretches of sand entirely to yourself. If the sands that rim the island tempt you to stay, you can opt for sizeable resorts or independent guesthouses for watching those seaside sunsets from your room.
Top 10 Must-See Places in Puerto Rico
1. Bioluminescent Mosquito Bay (Vieques) – One of the travellers’ most favourite experiences in Puerto Rico involve visiting the south Vieques beach and there is no wonder why. In the nighttime, the sky and the sea emit a blue glow from the half-plant, half-animal microorganisms that live in the water. It is truly a peaceful and magical place to enjoy.
2. El Morro (Fuerte San Felipe del Morro) – El Moro is conveniently located just out of the San Juan harbour and it is a stunning and magnificent six-story fortress built in the 16th century. Nowadays, El Morro is one of the major attractions of Puerto Rico both because of its interesting history and the breath-taking view it offers to overlook the Atlantic Ocean.
3. Flamenco Beach – Just 20 miles away from Puerto Rico, located on the Culebra island, Flamenco Beach is just the perfect spot for all sorts of fun family activities, underwater sports, and simply relaxing and soaking up the sun. With a delightful aesthetic from every angle and fine golden sand, the stretch of land Flamenco Beach is, is often called the most beautiful and enjoyable one in Puerto Rico.
4. Sun Bay – One of the best places to spend your day at when on the island of Vieques is the southwest Sun Bay beach. Here you will be able to enjoy a 2-mile-long stretch of chalky sand, shallow water that will be appreciated by the whole family, and lots of cute restaurants and bars around.
5. El Yunque National Rainforest – El Yunque is often referred to as the Caribbean Rainforest and there is no wonder why locals are proud of this beautiful stretch of luscious land. It is not only the only tropical forest in the US National Forest System but an excellent destination for all hiking enthusiasts.
6. Castillo de San Cristobal – The Fort of San Cristobal is actually located on 27 acres of land and was built to protect the city of Old San Juan. The significant historical value of this fort along with its majestic beauty and the stunning views it provides makes Castillo de San Cristobal simply a must-visit for all tourists and travellers.
7. Calle del Cristo – The city of Calle del Cristo is simply the best destination in Puerto Rico is you fancy some serious shopping or a relaxing day spent at a café and enjoying a delicious meal at a cool restaurant. In addition to the great shopping opportunities, Calle del Cristo is also offering a quick dive into the local culture with all the little art and craft shops dotted around the romantic cobbled streets of the city.
8. Condado Beach – In case the main stop of your Puerto Rico visit is the capital San Juan there is a good chance that the only beachfront you are going to enjoy is the Condado Beach’s one. Thanks to its central and convenient location, the stretch of fine sand and crystal clear water is simply irresistible. Condado is the epitome of the classic resort beach, framed by fancy hotels, atmospheric bars, and bustling city life.
9. Museo de Arte de Ponce – Reopened back in 2010 after a major renovation, Museo de Arte de Ponce is a home to more than 4500 works from all around the world and a perfect stop for all of you art enthusiasts. In addition, the organization of the museum is very visitor-friendly and easy-to-follow.
10. Carolina Beach (Balneario de Carolina) – Carolina Beach is located near the Isla Verde resort area and equally enjoyed and loved by locals and tourists. It is a perfect spot for the whole family and you will be able to enjoy its warm water and white sand.