The epicentre of the Roman Empire and birthplace of the Renaissance, this European virtuoso groans under the weight of its cultural cachet: it’s here that you’ll stand in the presence of Michelangelo’s David and Sistine Chapel frescoes, Botticelli’s Birth of Venus and Primavera and da Vinci’s The Last Supper. In fact, Italy has more Unesco World Heritage cultural sites than any other country on Earth. Should you walk in the footsteps of ancient Romans in Pompeii, revel in Ravenna’s glittering Byzantine treasures or get breathless over Giotto’s revolutionary frescoes in Padua? It’s a cultural conundrum as thrilling as it is overwhelming. It might look like a boot, but food-obsessed Italy feels more like a decadently stuffed Christmas stocking.
From delicate tagliatelle al ragù to velvety cannoli, every bite can feel like a revelation. The secret: superlative ingredients and finely tuned know-how. And while Italy’s culinary soul might prefer simplicity, it’s equally ingenious and sophisticated. Expect some of the world’s top fine-dining destinations, from San Pellegrino ‘World’s Best 50’ hotspots to Michelin-starred musts. So whether you’re on a degustation odyssey in Modena, truffle hunting in Piedmont or swilling powerhouse reds in the Valpolicella wine region, prepare to loosen that belt.
There are many places to just lie on a beach, from the resorts filled with regimented rows of sunbeds and umbrellas favoured by the Italians themselves, to secluded and less developed spots. And if you’re looking for an active holiday, there’s no better place: mountains run the country’s length – from the Alps and Dolomites in the north right along the Apennines, which form the spine of the peninsula; skiing and other winter sports are practised avidly, and wildlife of all sorts thrives in the country’s national parks.
- Some of Europe's Best UNESCO Sites
- Top Most Picturesque Winter Holiday Destinations
- Top Holiday Destinations That Are Disappointing In Real Life
- 18 New Travel Destinations For 2018 – Part 2
- Top 10 Favourite Destinations of our Favourite Vloggers
- The Remarkable Italy and its Smaller Charms
- Florence - The Capital of Tuscany
- Europe's Hidden Gems - Explore Incredible European Towns
- 19 Places for a Romantic Getaway – Part 1
- The Mesmerizing Tuscany’s Cuisine