Top 5 Places to Visit in Delaware
1. Lewes – Lewes was originally founded by the Dutch in the 1600s and to this date remains a very charming, laidback, historical city located in the state of Delaware. The coastal town is surrounded by the beautiful scenery of Cape Henlopen State Park the Great Marsh Preserve wetlands. Some of the highlights around town include the Ryves Holt House built in 1665, the great local farmer’s market, as well as a bunch of charming little restaurants and boutique shops.
2. Wilmington – Situated on the Christina and Delaware rivers, the city of Wilmington is offering more than picturesque surrounding and scenic views. It is a place that is a hot spot for arts, culture, great food. The city is jam-packed with great museums such as the Delaware Art Museum and the Andre Harvey Studio and a bunch of family-friendly attractions, plus some amazing and charming craft breweries. A perfect place for taking a stroll and enjoying the beauty of nature is the lovely Riverwalk of Wilmington.
3. Smyrna – Smyrna is a small town in the northern part of the state worth visiting. Some of the highlights in Smyrna include a walk to the Duck Creek Village that is a historic district in the town, as well as visiting the local opera house. Outdoor enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to the Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge.
4. Dover – Dover is the capital city of the Delaware state and it definitely worth a visit. A quirky and unique one, Dover is mostly popular with the NASCAR culture and the Amish community nearby. One of the main streets is called Loockerman and it is a hotspot for historic buildings, curious shops, a lot of eateries. Some of the interesting places you can visit in Dover include the Air Mobility Command Museum, the Biggs Museum of American Art, the John Dickson Plantation, watching a race at the Dover International Speedway, and more.
5. New Castle – Located along the Delaware River, New Castle is a charming and picturesque town that was once the state capital back in the past. Nowadays New Castle make up for a great destination for a laidback holiday or a once-day trip. Some of the places you can visit in the city include the New Castle Court House, which is a museum, the Old Library Museum, and the Amstel House Gardens.